- This event has passed.
Motivational Interviewing For Nutrition and Health Coaching
November 14, 2022 @ November 14, 2022 - November 17, 2022 @ November 17, 2022
“To date, motivational interviewing-based health coaching is the only technique to have been fully described and consistently demonstrated as causally and independently associated with positive behavioral outcomes.”
– Susan Butterworth, PhD
This is an Online Training Series composed of 4 meetings at the following dates and times:
November 14-17, 2022 from 1:00pm to 3:30pm Pacific Time
This course is for:
- Professionals in the Nutrition, healthcare and weight management industries
- Individuals (Non professionals) wanting to understand more about behavior change
- Those in the coaching profession
This live streaming online training series on Motivational Interviewing will provide a basic overview of the fundamentals of Motivational Interviewing as well as the latest updates as it pertains to Nutrition, Health Management and coaching. Whether you’ve heard of Motivational Interviewing or just want to improve your communication skills, this is a fantastic class to take!
Empowerment is at the heart of Motivational Interviewing, learning this skillset to fidelity allows you to:
- Communicate in a way that EMPOWERS your clients
- Identify and explore your clients VALUES in relation to their behavior
- Navigate challenges and roadblocks to help them get clear about WHO they are and THEIR goals
- Partner with individuals to guide creation of a clear plan for change
Unlike other traditional Motivational Interviewing courses, we go beyond the acronyms of Motivational Interviewing and train Motivational Interviewing to Fidelity, helping you to understand the physics of behavior change. Participants will discover assessment and communication skills that foster sustained behavior change by tapping intrinsic motivation. Aside from a didactic approach, there will be video examples, audience participation, and skill practice, creating a very interactive training experience.
Mention of the Motivational Interviewing Competency Assessment is expected in this course. (MICA – https://www.ifioc.com/mica-coding/ or https://www.ifioc.com/2021/11/05/mica-faq/).We will utilize it as a lens to learn, listen, practice, and provide feedback throughout this training. Our goal will be to help you embody the 5 MI Intentions (i.e. Supporting Autonomy & Activation, Partnering, Evoking, Expressing Empathy, and Guiding) and 2 Strategies (i.e. Strategically Responding to Sustain Talk and Strategically Responding to Change Talk)
You will learn how to/Learning Objectives:
- Recognize communication roadblocks that hinder change in clients
- Understand the overall Motivational Interviewing process and how it pertains to healthcare, nutrition and coaching
- Identify how Equipoise affects the Motivational Interviewing process and change management
- Deepen your empathy skills to help gain client engagement
- Recognize resistance talk, sustain talk and change talk and learn strategies for navigating them
- Recognize and decrease resistance with challenging clients/individuals
- Operationalize a reliable way of discussing and practicing MI’s heart-set and mindset
Included in this course:
- 10 hours of online training
- Worksheets and handouts to practice with
- Certificate of Completion
- Continuing Education credits (see below)
- BONUS: 7 day trial of MI PLUS+ post training support
Want more resources? IFIOC hosts a podcast called The Communication Solution on apple podcasts, where we discuss Motivational Interviewing and effective communication strategies. We also offer a FREE public Facebook group called Motivational Interviewing everyday where we post tips and create discussions. Visit our website for our BLOG, communication tips and more!
This training is designed for social workers and behavioral health professionals. IFIOC #1485 is approved as a provider for work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. IFIOC maintains responsibility for the program. Social workers participating in this training will receive 10 continuing education clock hours. Professionals should contact their individual regulatory board to review current continuing education requirements for licensure renewal. ASWB Approval Period: 05/30/2021 to 05/30/2024.
Total Cost: $225
Accessibility Accommodations: Please reach out to email@example.com
System Requirements: This course is run through the platform zoom, a link will be provided once registered. No need to download anything.
Refunds/Cancellations: Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration Deadline: The day the course begins!
Additional questions: Reach out to email@example.com