For Social Workers, Healthcare & Behavioral Health Professionals
Max Class Size: 15
Instructor: Casey Jackson
Course Description: This intensive 3-day training on the Motivational Interviewing Competency Assessment (MICA) will give professionals a tool to assess and provide easily digestible, structured, and specific feedback regarding a practitioner’s efforts to effectively use Motivational Interviewing (MI) with their clients. The MICA was developed by members of the international Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers (MINT) who each has years of extensive training in and coding of MI. The foundation of the MICA draws upon a variety of evidence-informed and evidence-based tools, theories, and practices. This coding tool is primarily focused on providing practical feedback/coaching to professionals in any service field on how to integrate and improve their MI skillset.
Course Learning Objectives:
¨ Integrate core constructs of Motivational Interviewing (MI) into a coding/coaching process.
¨ Differentiate strategic responses to Sustain Talk and Change Talk.
¨ Analyze intentions of an MI based conversation.
¨ Evaluate audio recordings and provide structured coaching & feedback.
- MICA debrief, questions, clarifications (participants having read it over prior to training)
- Microskills of reflections and questions, simplified parsing with MICA, practice
- MI Intensions – starting with easy, usually much higher or much lower skilled sessions, practice
- Introduction to time stamping embodiment of intentions of MICA coding sheet
- Coding homework of a session to code with MI Intentions & Microskills for assessing groups Inter-rater Reliability (IRR)
- Debrief homework results, strengths and opportunities for improvement
- MI Intentions & Microskills – slightly more difficult coding than week prior, usually mid-range scoring, practice with timestamps
- MI Strategies – returning to easy sessions, usually much higher or much lower skilled, practice with timestamps
- Coding homework of a session to code with MI Intentions, Microskills and Strategies with timestamps
- Debriomework results, strengths and opportunities for improvement
- MI Strategies, Intentions and Microskills with timestamps of difficult sessions, multiple practice sessions
- How to use coaching reporting system and key tips on coaching with the MICA
IFIOC #1485 is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. IFIOC maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 05/30/2018 to 05/30/2021. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval. Social workers participating in this course will receive 12 continuing education clock hours.
For additional Information please access the links below:
Please Contact 509.241.3794 if you need special accommodations or if you have questions or concerns.
Instructions for addressing grievances link
Requirements to receive Continuing Education Certificate link
***Cancellation Policy: You may cancel up to 72 hours prior to the training to receive a refund. Please note you will be charged a 25% re stocking fee***